Monday, March 29, 2010

What Price Progress?

Baby steps at the homestead these days. I don't know what to throw money at first.

Do I buy a camper or try to make the mudroom live-able? Mudroom is cheaper, camper can accommodate additional people thereby increasing the pool of available labor.

Do I build a barn or buy portable stall panels to put up in the garage for now? Garage option is cheaper, and likely best, so long as I am not living in the adjacent mudroom. Barn would add resale value in the event I decide to throw in the towel, or the bank says we cannot borrow sufficient money to do this.

Do I rent a tractor or hire someone to run a machine to make corral space? Hiring a tractor is cheaper and I would have the machine for longer, but to hire a pro is likely more cost-efficient and would result in a neater job.

Do I splurge on RAMM Fencing? I think it would be the safest for Tag, but I don't expect these first corrals to be permanent. This is definitely what I want in the future, however.

Re-commissioning the well is the one item not in dispute, I need it to live there and to burn the brush I hope to get cleared next week. Well guy is coming out to evaluate on Wednesday, hopefully he can get the work done shortly thereafter.

Construction bids are coming in fast and furious, and all over the map. Eeney, meeney, miney, moe... Methinks a call to the building inspector is in order, to level the playing field somewhat.

Took a walk out to the back forty and found the old well that is marked on the plans. Shallow, hand dug, stone-lined and pretty. I think I will put a bench nearby and call it a reflecting pool.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, I don't know what to tell you, except do what feels right. I'm pulling for you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maia! I decided to peruse the ads on Craigslist and found a smokin' deal, so I went to see it last night and left a deposit. I'll be picking it up later this week and I'll do a full post on it then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deciding whether to splurge (even if it's for something totally helpful that will pay off in the long run) is tough. I'm saving for a chest freezer right now so I can freeze a ton of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, that sounds like a most worthwhile splurge! Berries freeze so well and buying them out of season is ridiculous, I'm sure you're freezer will pay for itself over time.

    ReplyDelete